Vivid Wireless is a 4G ISP in Australia that I have using for the last 18 months since they launched, however over the last few months the quality of the signal has been degrading. After much searching I found a thread on the Whirlpool forums that seemed to point to a solution using external antennas. This gives an overview of the process:
Vivid web interface before the upgrade:
Firstly remove the side cover, I chose the side without lights in case there were any connections that could be broken. There are 4 screws underneath the pads on the base that need to be removed first then the cover is held by clips, the photos below show the location of all clips if prised carefully you should be able to remove without breakage.
Below is the inside showing the supplied antenna connections just below the heatsink to the left and right, these connectors can be gently leavered off and the new fly leads clipped on:
While it would be possible to run the fly leads through the case without damage for a secure connection less prone to issues I mounted them in the side of the case using a dremel to cut the holes:
Once both holes are drill and the flyleads fitted the case can be reassembled and is ready to go!
In the above picture you can see the indicator lights showing signal strength, previously there was never more than one lit with the new antenna lying on the floor I was already up to 2 a good start.
The next step was to mount the antennas on the roof space and dial in the direction, I managed to get a full three lights up after 10 minutes of playing around and the screen grab below shows the new reading from the web interface:
Thanks to the hard work and posts of all the Whirlpool members who made this possible, my signal has been rock solid for 2 days now and faster than ever.